Hello Beat & other fellow TB! Users following this thread,

Monday, December 18, 2000,  you stated regarding *hidden* files:

BS> These files you mentioned are *hidden* files. So the standard
BS> search program in Windows cannot find them!

In Explorer, go to view / options and choose "show all files".

BS> Go to the command prompt instead and enter:

BS>   C:\>dir /ah c:\windows

As you suggested, I opened a dos window, then went to the c:\win95
directory, then did dir ah/ p/ (to make sure I could see them all).

I then chose the name of one the hidden files: cheysystem.dat and
searched on it using Explorer's Win95 graphic search facility, which
found and displayed the file.

I then spooled through the hidden files looking for the ones the
worm puts in: Mtx_.exe, Ie_pack.exe & Win32.dll. They weren't there.

When I ran the latest DrWeb it didn't discover any dissemination
either. Therefore, I will assume all is fine, virus wise.

I never double clicked on the virus file, but I did left select it
when I should have right clicked, chose save to see the file name,
then abort without saving (but I was tired and confused the TB!
attachment pane with Explorer). I then emailed the sender regarding
his intentions and asked about the nature of the file and whether he
had sent it. I suspected it was a virus sent w/o his knowing it. You
know the rest.

Thanks for the thought. (Better safe than sorry).

>> http://www.cai.com/virusinfo/encyclopedia/descriptions/mtx.htm and

>> That allowed me to search for the files the worm creates,

Douglas