Hello!

Friday, January 05, 2001, 11:31:46 PM, Abigail Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OR>> Actually......   Why does no e-mail client have an option to deliver
OR>> sent mail directly to the addressed person's SMTP server.  Am I
OR>> missing an obvious "NO" here, or have I just thought up a totally new
OR>> type of internet application (Maybe I should file a patent for it
OR>> right away <grin>)

AM> You don't know what your addressed person's SMTP server is - there is
AM> no way to know except by looking at RFC headers of mail they have sent
AM> you,
    ^^^^
Partially correct. The mail routing is controlled by the MX records in
the DNS, by internal tables on some relays and so on.

AM> and then if they are using multiple ISP's like you, it would mean
AM> nothing.

Agreed. BTW the same mailbox owner could use different SMTP servers for
sending and receiving mail (the word "receiving" has nothing to do with
POP3 and/or IMAP4 - a client-side protocols - here; it stands for an
incoming mails going to this mailbox via SMTP).

AM> Not all servers with POP accounts have SMTP; web-based email such as
AM> yahoo or hotmail doesn't provide an SMTP that is associated with the
AM> domain name;

One remark: all of these online services are using SMTP internally.

--

Yours sincerely,

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)     http://www.andris.msk.ru/