Hi Nick,
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, at 11:04:57 -0800 you wrote:

NA> At 10:35 AM 31/01/01, Gerry Doyon wrote:

>>I hope you were just joking around when you said that. We all
>>would like people to try things and read the "manual" so to
>>speak before asking a question, but, stating that a person had
>>a dumb question is, IMHO, not a good thing to do, especially
>>for a moderator.

NA> Well said Gerry, and I would take it a step further, and send
NA> a letter to the List Owner. That is yet another unacceptable
NA> comment by Wolfgang, and should not be tolerated.

I think both of you misunderstood Wolfgang. IMO 'dumb question'
referred to his question: 'why didn't you simply try it?'

I don't think that something similar is common in English
speaking countries but in Germany it's quite usual to declare
something a 'dumb question' ("Dumme Frage") if you can't
understand something. It's just a literal translation which
obviously caused some misunderstanding.

--
Regards,
Lars

The Bat! 1.49e on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1
|        Lars Geiger  |  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        |
| PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=GetPublicKey> |