Thursday, February 01, 2001, 8:58:07 PM, Marck wrote:

MDP> Well, I stopped smoking in Nov 1999 after 26 years. There are a lot of
MDP> people  changing that habit too.

Just between you and me, Marck, comparing smoking, a disgusting habit that
shortens and degrades life spans, with putting two spaces after a period at
the end of a sentence is a bit much.

MDP>  I also stopped having a mug of coffee
MDP> for  every  waking  hour  of the day at the same time. Habits *can* be
MDP> unlearned when they are seen to be inappropriate.

But there is *nothing* inappropriate about putting two spaces after a
period at the end of a sentence.  Many people think it improves
readability.  The comparison, and the term 'inappropriate', seem
inappropriate to me.  <g>  If large numbers of people think it improves
readability, then coders should accommodate that view.

MDP> I'm  not  telling  you  that you must - or even /should/ - change your
MDP> habits.

<whew> Thank goodness.

MDP> I'm  just making the philosophical point that it is an option
MDP> available to you :-).

Switching e-mail clients would be another option, I guess.  <g>

MDP> Seriously  though, there is nothing TB can do other than obey what you
MDP> are  typing.  How is TB (or the programmers teaching the editor how to
MDP> respond) supposed to know that the space you *typed* at the start of a
MDP> new line is *not* supposed to be an indentation in this instance?

It's a good question, but I'm sure there must be a way to do it.  I can't
help but believe knottier problems have been solved by computer engineers
in the past.  ^_^

Yuki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]