Hi all,

JR>>   What is the address for the Ritlabs ftp directory? Thanks.

ST> ftp.ritlabs.com with releases in /pub/the_bat and betas in
ST> /pub/the_bat/beta

Let me take this opportunity and repeat a mail here that I
wrote yesterday on TBBETA:

-----
> It's the friendly thing to do ;-).

Let me pick this good point up and try to clarify my viewpoint
of this 'new beta' issue:

New betas are announced by Ritlabs on http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/beta.html
As far as I can remember, the existence of the ftp server has never
been officially announced by Ritlabs.

Therefore, for me a new beta exists *only*, if it is mentioned
on the beta download page. BTW, *if* it is mentioned there we
should expect an announcement from Ritlabs within a reasonable
time listing the changes.

For me lurking at the ftp directory for new files is unfriendly
against our valued manufacturer. In addition, I consider it
unfriendly to accuse them for not providing an announcement
in this case: why should they - it was not designated to the
public.

One might argue that they should put such versions intended
for special testers only into a protected area on the ftp server.
That's a valid point. But we should always keep in mind that
Ritlabs is a very small company and I prefer to let them
develop - not waste their time with administrative things like
protecting directories and maintaining and distributing passwords.

Not everything that is technically possible is ok to do.
Do you go into your neighbors house and do self-service in his
kitchen - just because he did not lock up the door?

We had a lot of unnecessary trouble in the past regarding new
betas. Remember these periodical "there is a new beta, but it
doesn't run" messages - caused by downloads when the upload
was not finished? Remember all these "what is new in this
version" mails - when Ritlabs did not intend to release that
particular version to the public?

To return to the 'friendly thing': I would like to appeal to
everybody to be friendly to our friends at Ritlabs - look for
news versions at the beta download page, not at the ftp server.

Of course this was a private note, not a moderator comment ;-)

-----
--
Regards,
Wolfgang

Co-moderator TBUDL / TBBETA discussion lists

Using The Bat! 1.49 under Windows 95 4.0 Build 1111  B
in Stadtallendorf, Germany,
on a 166Mhz Cyrix, 128MB SDRAM, half SCSI system ;-)

http://www.wolfgang-kynast.de/