Hi Brian,

On 24 February 2001 at  20:04:18 -0500 (which was 01:04 where I  live)
Brian Clark wrote and made these points:

>> A disk defrag seems to be a common precursor to folder disasters.
>> The FAT based file system is very likely a weakness as well.

BC> This has me a little worried. I seem to recall that people who
BC> regularly compress their folders have had problems in the past
BC> after a disk defrag.

<snip>

BC> I have no earthly idea if this was directly related to TB! and
BC> folder compression.

Here's a software engineering take on the issue.

Compressing the folders is a matter or reading a flat data file and
rewriting it omitting data flagged as no longer required. It's a
simple software engineering feat. No "great mysteries" there. No need
to get "flash" with the OS to make it happen. No inherent problem
AFAIAC.

Such an operation *is* going to result in a fragmented file system
however. Nothing extraordinary, just run of the mill, standard
operation stuff and not exactly an unexpected side-effect.

If the OS defrag routines subsequently choke on a defrag, whose fault
is it? Where is the remedy? What is the circumstance?

While I can understand the need for regular scandisk operations, I
wonder at the need for /regular/ defrags. Defrag by hand when the
system starts to feel a bit sluggish is my personal preference.

I have to be skeptical of a defrag being done when the OS (esp. Win9x)
has been "up" for a while. These are operating systems whose stability
decreases the longer they run for. I must say that this isn't quite as
true of NT/2k. Nevertheless, I know which kind of operation is going
to be inherently more stable between TB's folder compression and an OS
defragmentation. Clue: it's not the defrag ;-).

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D. Pearlstone -- Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA / TBTECH
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[    Any opinions are my own and not those of RIT labs           ]

TB! v1.49e S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1