On Saturday, February 24, 2001, 9:53:53 AM, Martin wrote:

> Currently I amwriting my Mail with Calypso and am evaluating
> Eudora, Becky and finally The Bat!

I went through the same process less than a year ago.

> The decission against Eudora is already made, ecause it crashes so
> often.

My school has a deal with Qualcomm so I can use Eudora Pro for free
(ad-free version). Not even that could get me to use it.

> Im interested in your opinions about the other mailers, especially
> Becky, because it has many features I like, also compared to the
> Bat!

I think it all comes down to personal preferences--what you see as
essential and what's important.

I also liked Becky 2 a lot (which was in late beta stages), and it
had (still does) an particular advantage for me--native DBCS support
(for Chinese, Japanese and Korean). But it didn't prevent me from
choosing TB. My memory is distant, here're those off the top of my
head:

1. editor: TB's editor is a little quirky, but its ability to reflow
quoted text is unique and indispensable for me.

2. multi-windows: I could open several messages/folders at once in
TB, not in Becky.

3. more sophisticated filters: no email program's filter design is
flawless. TB's filters have its fair share of limitation that we all
hope would go away in v2. But its power is still peerless. Becky's
filters is a little easier to use, for it's tied to folders. But
it's much more limited.

4. more customizable interface: customizability is a complex issues,
for no application is completely flexible. Usually one cares only
those thing he/she wants to customize. For me, TB is the better of
the two in this regard. E.g., I use full-width preview pane in TB,
something not available in Becky.

I'm sure others would point out, rightfully, better template and
quick template design in TB, and better PGP plug-ins. They weren't
the main points for me, however, for I didn't use those (still
don't) extensively.

I'll stop here for now. It's time for others to share.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.49e | Win2k SP1