On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:37:42 +0000, daveiw contributed this to our
collective wisdom:

dcn>     I'm very new to TB! and I am very impressed with the program
dcn> so far, especially the Templates and Filters. I'm just about
dcn> getting a handle on the  Templates  & Filters's now after much
dcn> reading of this groups' posts (and of course PGP-Basics) and some
dcn> excellent support from many of their loyal  users. I particularly
dcn> love the PGP integration in TB! something I struggled with in my
dcn> long standing installation of Eudora. ;)

At a basic user level, TB!'s PGP plug-in isn't that glamorous, but
when used with templates, it is really a pleasure to use.

dcn> I can't help but think though, that despite the many advantages
dcn> TB! has over the likes of Eudora, an opportunity is being missed.
dcn> I believe that this excellent program is being let down by its'
dcn> documentation or lack of it. It seems that TB! may never be the
dcn> 'giant' it could and should be until this problem is addressed.
dcn> Many of my friends and colleagues use Eudora, or dare I say it,
dcn> Outlook Express! One of the reasons for this is of course ease of
dcn> use (generally) and the fact that many of them don't have the
dcn> time or the patience to go through the gradual learning process
dcn> to become somewhat proficient with TB! This may mean that TB!
dcn> may, unfortunately never become the mainstream mail client that
dcn> it deserves to be and this in my opinion at least,is a real
dcn> shame.

I don't think The Bat! will become a mainstream client since its
development seems to be headed towards facilitating the user with
advanced needs or those willing to automate their tasks and negotiate
the necessary learning curve required to master this.

Many, if not most people who use e-mail clients aren't interested in
advanced functionality. They just want something that works. They very
likely use one language, one identity and at most two signatures.
They're not interested in templates and what they have to offer. For
example, I showed my wife my templates in action and she was impressed
but although she uses TB! herself, she personally doesn't want to use
customised templates. Users without heavy requirements are often
confused and bogged down by the long menus and options. They therefore
find it harder to get at the few functions they wish to use. It's very
often that new users write, asking for an option that's very much
present in the menus, but was understandably overlooked.

TB! will certainly enjoy its loyal userbase and the size of this
userbase could be made larger with better documentation, but it's
simply unnecessarily complicated for many users who wish to do very
simple tasks. There are other clients that are free and a lot easier
to use. This is the beauty of choice and having a competitive market.

dcn> Just thought I'd share my thoughts in the hopes that others would
dcn> comment on where they think TB! is going. :) I hope it's an
dcn> eventual case of the king (Eudora) is dead, long live the king
dcn> (TB!)!

Why should Eudora die? IMO, they should both exist so that people will
be better able to find a client that serves their needs best. I'm
always squeamish about the whole concept of advocating an application
as one that everyone should use. This isn't a good approach since
we're all different in terms of taste, working style and needs. I'm
glad that you've found joy in using TB! and I know I certainly have.
I'm very willing to share my positive experiences and help interested
others in whatever way I can, but TB! cannot continue to be as good as
it is and yet at the same time, everyone who discovers it, loves it or
finds its design a godsend. AFAIK, no such application does or ever
will exist. I'll certainly endorse and assist in its promotion to make
others know about it and what it offers, but not to promote that
everyone should use it and down with the others.

- --
  - Allie -
     A. Curtis Martin  |  Moderator(TBUDL|TBBETA|TBTECH)
¡Opinions given are mine and not necessarily those of RITLABS!
  The Bat! v1.51 Beta/1 | Windows NT 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 1)
                         --------