Allie,

[hard returns vs. soft returns]
ACM> Some of the editors great formatting routines such as the reformatting of
ACM> quoted material will lead to this sort of limitation. The added advantage
ACM> is that you'll always be aware of the formatting of your text and what the
ACM> recipient will be seeing at the other end. Soft returns can be very
ACM> deceptive and can lead to some lousy formatting that the recipient has to
ACM> deal with.

Not necessarily. Basicly, the editor only needs to make this
difference for as long as you are editing the message, or maybe it
should even save the message with the information on soft and hard
returns intact. On screen, while editing, the wrapping behaviour would
be as defined by the maximum width of the message, such as 76
characters on a line.

Upon hitting send, the soft returns would automatically be replaced
with hard returns, causing there to be no difference between the
message on-screen and the way it is sent.

I've seen this kind of ability before in my old FidoNet editor, GoldEd
(www.goldware.dk) although I must admit that the reformatting of
quoted text in GoldEd requires a little more user intervention.

ACM> The only application that I see dealing with soft returns in a positive
ACM> way is Agent and Becky, but then again, neither of them can reflow quoted
ACM> material the way TB! can...

Dunno any of those, I use Gravity for news and haven't even heard of
Becky before.

ACM> If you find yourself constantly having to switch between both you may do
ACM> better keeping auto-format off and then hitting alt+l whenever you need to
ACM> do any text reflowing.

That might be an idea, yes.

--
Maurice

ICQ: 15724776
WWW: http://www.kiap.net/

Thawte Web of Trust Notary, see http://www.thawte.com/

| Schrijf je in voor / Register for EuroBiCon One! |
| 22-24 June 2001 Rotterdam, The Netherlands       |
| Website: http://www.intbiconf.org/               |