Hi azrael,

@ 12:24:01 AM on 4/18/2001, azrael wrote:

Tmtdc>> Secondly, you seem to somehow be taking replies to existing
Tmtdc>> threads and starting new threads with the reply. This has the
Tmtdc>> obvious result of breaking the existing threads making it
Tmtdc>> difficult to follow who said what on which thread.

a> I appreciate your feedback Nick but what you're seeing is out of my
a> ignorance. In order to alter it I need to be shown correct format.
a> While breaking up the threads may be obvious to you and others, I'm
a> oblivious of it. How am I managing that? If subject change doesn't
a> do it, what does?

Go to View -> View Threads By and play around a little bit. You'll
eventually get what Nick is trying to say.

If you open a message, copy all of the text, create a new message,
then paste that text in there, you've effectively started a new
thread.

For example, lets say before you do that you see (in your message
list):

[-] Frank went to town       [EMAIL PROTECTED]  12:28 AM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     6:00 PM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    someoneelse@exampl  8:00 Mars Time
    |    |__ Re: Frank went  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    March 23 1985
    |__ Re: Frank went to t  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Feb 35 1969

And then you decide to reply to that thread by creating a new message.
This is what you'll get when your message comes in:

    Re:Frank went to town    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   1:35 AM
[-] Frank went to town       [EMAIL PROTECTED]  12:28 PM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     6:00 PM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    someoneelse@exampl  8:00 Mars Time
    |    |__ Re: Frank went  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    March 23 1985
    |__ Re: Frank went to t  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Feb 35 1969

And if you sent your message half a day behind the last message in
that thread, your message ends up getting separated by tens of
messages, possibly:

    Re:Frank went to town    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   1:35 AM
[+] Hopeless in Seattle      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    time
[+] Another thread           [EMAIL PROTECTED]   time
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[+] etc..
[-] Frank went to town       [EMAIL PROTECTED]  12:28 PM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     6:00 PM
    |__ Re: Frank went to    someoneelse@exampl  8:00 Mars Time
    |    |__ Re: Frank went  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    March 23 1985
    |__ Re: Frank went to t  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Feb 35 1969

a> And I accept it as such but please illustrate the *proper* manner
a> and help me correct it. Just a guess but between macros, utilities,
a> message editor choices, filters, templates, keys and character sets
a> there must be a 1,000 alternatives in how a message gets treated. I
a> need to learn a few of the basic correct ones just now.

MDP???> If you reply to a message to start a new topic, it will have one or
MDP???> more of the following effects:

MDP???> 1) Your message will be ignored by those not following that
MDP???> thread.

This *does* happen, I assure you.

a> Is changing the subject line altering the threading? I thought it
a> didn't cause that effect.

No, not just changing the subject alone, but it is *rarely* needed. if
you need to change the subject, you probably need to start a new
*thread* (see: huge ASCII diagram at top).

--
 Brian Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Web Architect, Designer, and Programmer