Hello TBUDL!

The following happened to me, and I don't have an explanation.
However, I would like to know whether someone has made the same
experience when downloading from Myrealbox with TB.

On Friday in the office, I downloaded my ML stuff (from the account
@myrealbox.com) just fine, leaving "mail on server" as usual. When I
got home, I couldn't download to my home machine.

Connection Center opened, connected to server, got number of messages,
and started to download message 1/67, 2882 byte. Speed showed 70 cps.
All of 43 bytes of the first message were downloaded, and the download
seemed to hang, but speed still showed 70 cps. This was reproducable
and still is up to now.

During each mail session, TB creates litterally hundreds of files
batxxxx.tmp in the Windows\temp directory, with xxxx being a hex
number in sequence (! - not random as usual). Size of the files is 0.
I just counted: 70 such files were created with the time stamp 15:29
today.

I delete task or abort the ConCenter (after ten minutes or so, still
being at byte 43), and the size of the file to download makes some
weird jumps in the display, 2075 - 3856, 2595 etc for a few seconds
until the ConCenter really shuts down. I can imagine that these are
the sizes of subsequent messages, but don't know.

I connected with the mail despatcher instead, in order to just delete
the first message. The mail despatcher needs a very long time (over 10
minutes) until it shows me a list of "headers" with the From, subject,
etc information missing ("unkown"). This is funny because when I try
to download straight, the sender of the first message is actually
shown in the Connection Center.

I tried to delete the first message from server. Take the tickmark off
the "receive" tickbox but leave it in the "delete" tickbox. Next time
I try to download messages, the first message is still the same one,
no deletion has happened.

I used the telnet application and connected to the smtp server on port
110, and all went well: LIST showed the message list (only the
message sizes for some reason, but that can be their setup). RETR 1
shows me a listing of the first message, with headers and all. DELE 1
is my command. Then QUIT.

I hit F2 in TB, and TB is again trying to download the same first
message. I has not been deleted.

OK, webmail. I log in to http://myrealbox.com . The newest messages
are shown first, no problem, I read them. I get back to the older
ones, and at almost the last page (each page containing a listing of
10 mails), it hangs again. When the pages downloaded into my browser
very fast, suddenly I nothing moves anymore. I stop download and try
to backtrack or even logout, but my options are down to just closing
IE.

It appears that only messages received on Friday the 13th cause the
problem.

Since the POP protocol does not allow "skip the first 15 messages",
and I have no way of deleting them, my only way out was to create a
new account (this one here). I have no problems whatsoever retrieving
incoming messages.

Does anybody have any explanation?

--

Ciao,
Thomas                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Generated with The Bat! 1.53d
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366 Mhz, 128MB RAM