Hello Costas,

CP> Hello Silviu,

CP> Tuesday, December 25, 2001, 12:33:15 PM, you wrote:

SC>> 25 Dec 2001 at 12:31:21 ,
SC>> Costas Papadopoulos wrote the following
SC>> on the "I cannot send email to Yahoo addresses" thread:

CP>>> I'm having a rather strange problem. I cannot send email to Yahoo
CP>>> addresses. It's possible that the same problem also exists with other
CP>>> addresses, but this is what I've noticed so far: Email is shown as
CP>>> being sent, the progress indicator shows 100%, but in terms of bytes
CP>>> the message always hangs 5 bytes before sending completion. I've
CP>>> searched the archives for a similar such error, but didn't locate
CP>>> anything. I'd be grateful for any advice.

SC>> Maybe something wrong with your ISPs SMTP server ? I had some
SC>> similar problems... sometimes the server would hang me for about
SC>> 40 secomds before accepting the mail.

CP> Here's some additional information.

CP> The problem was first noticed after I installed the latest security
CP> patch for Internet Explorer or installed for a short time an updated
CP> version of AVP anti virus (for evaluation) or installed Trillian
CP> version 0.70. I don't really know if any, all or none of these events
CP> had anything to do with the problem.

CP> Anyway, I had the same email problem using Pegasus Mail, plus the fact
CP> that I couldn't login to Yahoo email pages using any browser. I
CP> therefore decided to reinstall Windows. I also added a parameter to
CP> Pegasus Mail on startup to use "blocking sockets", which the program
CP> says may be needed for some defective Winsock implementations. The
CP> problem with Pegasus now seems to be gone and also I can now login to
CP> my Yahoo mailbox with a browser.

CP> I realise that all the above probably adds to the confusion, but it is
CP> indeed a confusing situation for me.

CP> In summary, I still don't understand why some emails stop short of
CP> being sent with The Bat, 5 bytes before the full message size, whereas
CP> they do get sent with Pegasus Mail - after I added the parameter which
CP> is supposed to take care of the "blocking sockets" matter.

After further testing, I conclude that I can send email to Yahoo email
addresses with Pegasus Mail with no problem but no so with Outlook
Express or The Bat. If I send email using The Bat, then the sending
process as shown in the Connection Center always hangs 5 bytes before
the message total size. I tested this by sending emails using Pegasus Mail
and Outlook Express and within a minute or so, with The Bat.
Messages sent with The Bat were returned to me from my ISP's mailer
daemon a few hours later as follows (text edited by me):

    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **

The original message was received at Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:44:06 +0200 (EET)
from [my ISP,s address] [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

451 4.4.1 reply: read error from mx4.mail.yahoo.com.
... while talking to mx4.mail.yahoo.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 451 Timeout
<my [EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Deferred: 451 Timeout
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

On an attachment to this message there was this information:

Reporting-MTA: dns; [my ISP's address]
Arrival-Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:44:06 +0200 (EET)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Action: delayed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mx4.mail.yahoo.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 451 Timeout
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:31:38 +0200 (EET)
Will-Retry-Until: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:44:06 +0200 (EET)

Judging from the above, even though the message appears to have been
sent by The Bat, (a) the Connection Center did not indicate the fact
and (b) the message was not delivered anyway.

--
 Costas                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]