I recently asked this same question. No response, but so here is my experience:

If you are in the message auto view mode, the next message in the thread will be
selected after a deletion only if the thread is expanded. If you are viewing the
message in its own window, this doesn't work.

Definitely a design flaw unless someone can point out otherwise

jon

On Monday, February 11, 2002, 6:13:31 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

JEB> I have my list messages sent to a particular folder via filter.  That
JEB> folder only I have set to View Threads By Reference.  When I am
JEB> reading a message, am done with it, and hit Delete, the next message
JEB> in the thread does not come up.  Instead, some other message comes up.
JEB> How can I get the program to drill down in threads?

-----
 Jonathan Wayne
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]