I've tried to send this as a reply a couple of times but it doesn't
seem to be getting on to the list.

PP> Have you tried moving one of the four/five standard folders
No, I was using folders I'd created

PP> Seems you have misunderstood my mail: not <Ctrl> alone, but PP>
_additionally_ to keeping <Alt> pressed. OK, but <Ctrl>+<Alt> doesn't
do it. As I said elsewhere, That does nothing. Actually, that's not
true, as I start to move the pointer shows the outline of a document,
but when I let go of the mouse button the highlight jumps back to the
original folder which remains unmoved.

PP> What's this thing you call 'local hierarchy'???
OK, by that I mean the structure under a top level folder. I've got

//Account
-Jobs
-Prog
|-Internet
 |-Webref
|-SQL Stuff
 |-Wire
 |-Central

The structure under "prog" what I mean by a "local" hierarchy. If I
try and manipulate this structure I can manipulate "Central" so that
it is a child of "Wire" or promote it to be a child of "Prog". I can
even promote it to be a child of "//Account". This is a good thing.
I've just discovered that I can promote *past* "//Account" to make it
a common folder, cool! I can do these things with any folder that is
INITIALLY CREATED as a child of another folder.

However, "Jobs" was created as a child of "//Account" and whilst I can
move it up and down the tree, I CANNOT promote it to common folder or
demote it to be the child of any other folder.

I suppose that, as a workaround, I could ensure that all new folders
are created as, say, a child of "inbox" and then moved to where they
need to be but it'd be nice if all (or all but the "system" folders)
acted in a consistent manner.

PP> If it doesn't you're doing something wrong or missing something
I could believe that! I've only been using the software for 7 days.

--
Stuart