Hello Jonathan,

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:45:43 -0500 GMT (18/08/02, 06:45 +0700 GMT),
Jonathan Angliss wrote:

>> I haven't gone nto IMAP yet, but I did think we were talking about
>> POP. The reason is that on a dial-up account, IMAP (if I understand it
>> correctly) might require more online time.

JA> It'd only require more online time if you wanted to redownload every message
JA> each time, however if you required just reading of some messages, then in
JA> general no... the one limitation with IMAP is that you have to be connected to
JA> read your mail, which is where I guess your comment about online time comes
JA> from.

Yes. Let's say I tunr on my computer in the morning, there are 100
messages in this account. It appears faster to download the mails,
read them offline and reply (if appropriate), and then reconnect to
send and receive again. IMAP would require me to stay online to read
all these messages.

JA> If the email is split into two parts, one of type text/plain and one of type
JA> text/html, then you'd be able to split it, but if it is formatted as only
JA> text/html, then that'd be all you can download.

While there is no conversation involved (as requested by Peter in his
original query), this sounds like a nice thing at least for the
multipart/alternative messages. :-) However, unless you can set this
behaviour to automatic, it wouldn't save you much online time, would
it?

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was
missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM