On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, at 10:54:37 [GMT -0700], Martin Naskovski wrote:

MN> Hi all, I'm wondering if there's some script (which I really am a bit
MN> short on time at work here to write) that someone has written that
MN> could take the UNIX % delimited fortune lines(cookies) and transform
MN> them into cookies that are acceptable to TB! ?  If anyone knows about
MN> such a script, could you forward it to me or point me in the direction
MN> where it lives?

This is something I wrote while playing with JAVA.

package sigcopy;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

/**
 * Title:        SigCopy
 * Copyright:    Copyright (c) 2002
 * Company:
 * @author Michael A. Yetto
 * @version 1.0
 */

public class SigCopy {

    try {
      String dirS = "D:\\The Bat!\\MAIL\\<account>\\";
      String singleFile = "<single line filename>";
      String dirML = "D:\\Tools\\KookieJar6\\taglines\\";
      String mlFile = "<multi-line filename>";
      boolean EOF = false;

      File fileIn = new File(dirML, mlFile);
      File fileOut = new File(dirS,singleFile);
      MLSigIn sigIn = new MLSigIn(fileIn);
      SingleSigOut sigOut = new SingleSigOut(fileOut);

      while (!EOF) {
        try {
          sigOut.write(sigIn.readLine());
        }
        catch(EOFException e) {
          EOF = true;
          break;
        }
        catch(NullPointerException np) {
          EOF = true;
          break;
        }
      }

    sigOut.close();
    sigIn.close();
    }
    catch(FileNotFoundException e) {
      System.err.println(e);
      return;
    }
    catch(IOException e) {
      System.err.println("Error reading input file" + e );
      return;
    }
  }
}

Part 2

package sigcopy;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class SingleSigOut {
  static BufferedWriter sSig;
  static String sep = "\\n";

  public SingleSigOut(File f) throws IOException {
      sSig = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(f));
  }

  public SingleSigOut(File f, String s) throws IOException {
      sSig = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(f));
      sep = s;
  }

  public static void write(Vector v) throws IOException {
    String s = new String();
    s = ((String) v.elementAt(0));
    for (int j=1;j<v.size()-1;j++) {
      s = s + sep;
      s = s + ((String) v.elementAt(j));
     }
    sSig.write(s);
    sSig.newLine();
    sSig.flush();
  }

  public static void close() throws IOException {
    sSig.flush();
    sSig.close();
  }
}

And finally

package sigcopy;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class MLSigIn {
  static BufferedReader mlSig;
  static String sep = "%";

  public MLSigIn(File f) throws IOException {
      mlSig = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(f));
  }

  public MLSigIn(File f, String s) throws IOException {
      mlSig = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(f));
      sep = s;
  }

  public static Vector readLine() throws IOException {
    String st = new String();
    Vector v = new Vector();
    while (! st.equals(sep)) {
      st=mlSig.readLine();
      v.addElement(st);
    }
    v.trimToSize();
    return v;
  }

  public static void close() throws IOException {
    mlSig.close();
  }
}

    I will probably tweak this when I'm so inclined, but for now enter
the appropriate paths and filenames to convert a multi-line file
delimited with "%", to a single line file with a "\n" line separator.

        Mike Yetto

- --
E-mailed using The Bat! v1.61 running on
Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2