Hi, Jonathan, and anyone else listening in.   I originally asked:
>> Can someone explain to me what the significance, if
>> any, is of files that appear in the Local Settings\Temp subdirectory
>> that are named bat*.tmp, where the "*" represents any two- to
>> four-character alphanumeric combination? These files appear in the
>> temp subdirectory only on occasion after I have downloaded e-mail.
>> There must be nothing in these files, since the size is "0kb".

Jonathan Angliss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/07/2002 replied:

>The temp files are there so that TB can write the file locally before
>trying to insert into the message base.....
>As for the reason the files are there, and not deleted, you gave
>yourself the reason. Your virus scanner reads all data being written
>to the drive, and as it sees the virus signature, it stops the write,
>this returns an error to TB! as your virus scanner returns a simple
>file lock message (a cheating way to stop a program from writing
>data), so TB! cannot write to the file, so assumes it cannot destroy
>it either. This would mean there is something wrong with it, so it
>skips onto the next message.

If I understand you correctly, under normal circumstances, where no virus is
present, the temp file gets erased once it is scanned and found clean so that
the message body can be inserted into the database.   Correct?  If so, this
raises several questions:

1.  why would there be more empty bat*.tmp files than error messages warning of
a virus.  For example,  I might have 200 messages to download, receive one error
message during the download warning of the presence of the "MimeExploit virus"
[which shouldn't affect me anyway since I am running IE 6.0]  but will still
find perhaps a dozen or two dozen empty bat*.tmp files.   Shouldn't there be a
one-for-one correspondence between the number of virus warnings I get and the
number of empty bat*.tmp files sitting in the Temp directory?

2.  Because I use eZTrust antivirus, I don't have a plug-in for The Bat.   I
thought plug-ins were what allowed incoming messages to be scanned.   However,
it seems that I am getting those messages scanned anyway, correct?    So, what
does a plug-in do that my setup doesn't already accomplish?

Thanks for  your help,

--
Avi
Avram Sacks