Hi Allie,

On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, 12:09 PM, you mentioned about "ATT Broadband
connections problems":

G>> I see. This would be equivalent to me using qmail or Postfix in Linux
G>> as my mail server (both for SMTP and POP3). I can see where Mercury
G>> would be advantageous for sending mail in Windows.

A> Definitely. This is why I use my own SMTP server. I never have to
A> worry about an ISP SMTP server accepting my mail. A direct mail
A> delivery is done so once MDaemon here delivers mail successfully, I
A> know that the recipients mail server has received the mail.

Boy, I know that.  I have a better uptime track record than my ISP.  Cool
beans. As you know, I am my own ISP within my ISP, by that I mean I have
my own domains, mail servers, web servers, and DNS servers.

G>> I will check Mercury out, as I have questions regarding DNS
G>> records, if, or how, it resolves MX records before it sends,

A> It needs to know what nameserver/s to use. If you leave the
A> nameserver field blank it will take the information from your
A> machine configuration. Of course, this would only be successful if
A> your machine is directly connected to the internet and not on a
A> network, otherwise you'll have to specifically define the
A> nameserver/s it should use.

I can just point it to my own DNS servers.  This is slick.  I just saw it
on your site.  I can use this on my laptop, and while on the road, go
through my own servers for DNS, and use Mercury too (while in Windows).
cool beans.  On my LAN at home, while wife is in Windows, she uses our
Linux mail server for SMTP/POP3.

G>> if it does, etc. Probably uses the ISPs DNS for this if it
G>> checks. Interesting.

A> Exactly!

 I see a plan here.. <g>

 Gary

Today's thought: Never argue with a man carrying a water buffalo.