On Monday, October 28, 2002, Allie C Martin wrote in
<mid:122307102960.20021028211108@;landscreek.net>:

JN>> I don't know if you misunderstood my intent or if I misstated
JN>> the subject. I really should not have mentioned RTF, which is a
JN>> MS format. What I did mean is what, I believe, is generally
JN>> referred to as "enriched text," and you paraphrased it well in
JN>> the excerpt above.

> I've always thought that this would have been a better way to go
> than HTML as a means for text enrichment. However, besides sending
> an attachment, HTML seems to have taken off as the only widely
> supported means to convey text formatting that goes beyond that of
> being simple plain text.

Allie,

I wonder if the reason is commercial or technical. That is, has HTML
become so popular because it offers the sellers of the world more
billboard space, or is it that there is no alternative technique which
displays reliably on different systems. If an alternative, albeit
limited, formatting technique exists, I'll vote for it over HTML in my
email.

(My template didn't pick up your initials for this reply, and your
headers don't indicate what you're using: TB! or not TB!, that is the
question.)

--
JN