Marck-

Friday, November 8, 2002, 3:52:57 AM, you wrote:

MDP> How I have seen this done in the past is for TB to use a shared
MDP> network path to a mailbase for a common office-wide account. I have
MDP> one customer using the system like this. That's one way of doing it.

I use this method on my own network as well as on a couple of client
systems. You might experiment with the Options | Network and
Administration menu - set the server to be...well...the server, and
put the other machines into either of the two client modes. I've got
the clients in non-TCP mode and just let the server handle all the
hard work.

TB! is smart enough to know about the accounts you have set up so that
if one office user sends mail to another office user TB! just puts the
message into the recipient's inbox rather than having to send it out
to the ISP and retrieve it again.

MDP> Another is for all clients to have a separate "office@" account and
MDP> to configure them all to "Leave messages on server for 'n' days"
MDP> where 'n' is a large enough number (say, 7) to ensure that all users
MDP> get a copy of the incoming mail before it is deleted.

MDP> This second method is (IMHO) far more stable than literally sharing
MDP> the folders across the network.

Marck-

any reason for saying this or is it just subjective? I've never had
any TB! problems that I could point to the network configuration. Is
there something from your experience that I should be worrying about?

CS>> some users in our office work on more than one computer and
CS>> would like to have the bat running on each of them at the same
CS>> time. each installation should get the latest messages and the
CS>> installations should be syncroniced all the time. is there a way
CS>> to do this?

MDP> Synchronisation is a feature of the TB maintenance centre, but it
MDP> isn't automated and again, CC and "leave messages on server"
MDP> practices will evade the need to use such methods.

If you're (CS) talking about out-of-office computers, then the
situation gets *much* stickier. Otherwise not a problem, although I've
never used (or needed to) the synchronisation feature.

-Mark Wieder

 Using The Bat! v1.61 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2