Hello Mike Eriksson,

On or about Monday, November 11, 2002, 11:12:09 AM, in a galaxy
far, far away, Mike wrote:

ME> When I attach a file to my email I want it to be zipped.
ME> // Anders

If you 'zip' a graphics file (*.jpg/*.gif) the zipped file will
be LARGER, as these files do not compress well or at all.  The
resulting file overhead of the zip format makes the file LARGER,
so you won't save anything, and most people are very wary of zip
files for virus reasons.

It sounds like a throwback to AOL, as they zip any file
attachments that include more than one file automatically as
default. Generally it is a BAD idea.  If you want to zip up
documents, create a zip file of them and attach it.

The automatic route would be self-defeating IMHO.  Most 'document
formats' will compress fairly small, which will save a bit of
bandwidth sometimes.  Actually, the TCP/IP protocol and modem
hardware has compression in it, so you will not actually see much
improvement anyway.  *.txt files always download faster (Kbps
speed) than compressed files.

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

Get a PERMANENT 100MB capacity mailbox for ONLY
$29.95/year.  No more lost mail due to mailbox
capacity restrictions.  Access by POP3 or Webmail!
Earn a FREE mailbox with their referral program.
(HINT - You get $11.00 towards your mailbox for
each referral who signs up!)
Apply NOW at http://1110.runbox.com
Running The Bat! V1.60h on Windows 2000 Vers. 5 0
Build 2195 Service Pack 3