Hello DG,

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, at 11:33:26 [GMT -0500] (which was 11:33:26
AM in NY, USA) DG Raftery Sr. wrote:

> Again, and I'm sure this subject will hit the dead topic instruction
> soon, I would not consider Re: being utilized in a business
> correspondence nor memo as "Regarding". My reasoning?

> re·gard·ing,
> v. tr.
> To take into account; consider.

Regarding is not a verb; it's a preposition.  As a preposition,
regarding means in relation to or referencing.  As you see, the
term 'regarding' and 'referencing' are synonymous.  I'm not arguing
with you but rather proving you indirectly correct :)

However, as Dierk alluded to 'Re' is a preposition of it's own.
IOW, it is not an abbreviation--it stands alone.  I think many
people confuse it for an abbreviation simply because many people
confuse uses of the colon.  The colon in this case is merely a
break line of sorts between the preposition and the phrase,
sentence, or term following it.  It just makes the whole line
more complete.

Why did I bother writing this at all?  Just to say that I think
you are all very much correct.  Even Thomas who is closest to
being mistaken.  While 'Re:' is certainly not an abbreviation
for the word 'reply', Thomas's idea of 'in reply to' certainly
does have direct correlation to 'in reference to' which
correlates to 'in regards to' which is linked to 're'.

James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stamp-co.com

The Bat! v.1.62/Beta1