Well, suppose I have two XML files, one using <name-first> and the
other using <first-name>. An XSL script can convert between them. Or I
can convert the data manually using any text editor. Fifteen years
from now, when the original programs are long dead, I will still have
my address data in a format I can read and use.

More to the point, I should slap the developers for not coordinating
on a standard. That is what committees like W3C are for. The vcard XML
format sounds like a winner to me.

We have email standards, and all email clients support them: POP, SMTP,
etc. Why not some W3C-approved XML address format?

XML is more than a buzzword, it's an important new standard. The
reading of XML files via SAX or DOM is facilitated by open-source
parsers and is not complex at all. XML is a machine-ready format. I
can't see how proprietary formats are any less work.

Mark