Hello Peter,

PF> Douglas,

PF> On 05-01-2003 23:02, you [D] wrote in
PF> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
D>> Combine both and I can receive or not receive anything on the server,
D>> and I can revise anything programmed by Selective Download for
D>> deletion without reception.

PF> SpamPal needs the mail to "pass through" it so that the headers can be
PF> altered as mentioned. This way it can be filtered locally.

PF> I wanted to be able to:

PF> Download the header only.

TB's Mail Dispatcher lets let you do that (more or less).

PF> Have SpamPal mark the header of this as spam

Using it's own database, not yours.

PF> Delete the full mail from the server without download.

With TB!'s Selective Download, that's just what happens. When
combined with the Mail Dispatcher, you can see what's going to
happen (what will be downloaded and what won't be, what will be
deleted from the server and won't be deleted). You can change these
if desired and add a string to your Selective Download list without
having to download the email that contains it first (you can copy
the string from the header or following lines - I download 25).

PF> Alas this (to the best of my knowledge) is impossible.

Yes and no. TB! can't add a line to the header (for whatever that's
worth) but I assume XRay could, if you really wanted that.

D>> So why do I need SpamPal? As it's described, I don't see that it
D>> does anything TB! doesn't already do, with no added work or expense.

PF> Yes it does. Quite a lot, actually:

PF> Will check senders IP against continually maintained blocklists.

You mean blacklists. So you're using someone else's spam lists,
while with TB! alone you just make your own.

PF> And with the Bayesian filter, it can be set up to "learn" the
PF> content of spam messages and make an informed guesstimate of new
PF> messages.

We can already do that ourselves. Do you want my list?

Bayesian is similar to heuristic, I assume. A neural network, kind
of. Well, I have one of those inside my head.

PF> When SpamPal finds spam, it sets a X-header which mail can be filtered
PF> against. OK, mail needs to be downloaded to do this it appears, but it
PF> is very good at finding spam.

Ah, SpamPal is marking it as spam for you, while TB! lets you define
your own spam and see what you've got beforehand, take note how TB!
responded to your Selective Download list and make your own final
decision (i.e a change) on the spot.

So I'd say that neither SpamPal nor the X-Header line is needed, but
each to his own. IOW, I'd rather do it myself, but others may not.
I get a few hundred messages a day, but others may get more. Even
so, the same selective download list will work on any number of
messages.

Douglas