 Thanks everyone for your input - I can see it's going to be a matter
 of "suck it and see".  I generally prefer to support the opensource
 alternatives, but I would like to have the same level of support in
 TB!...

 I'll let you guys know how I get on!

cheers,
Toby

> [...]

AM>> sign, decrypt and encrypt messages. However, it uses a strict UID
AM>> matching system (smart matching) when doing so in that it will select a
AM>> key to use only if the key has an exactly matching name <address>
AM>> combination to the one the plug-in is looking for. Key management and
AM>> GnuPG configuration, you have to do via the CLI or you install either
AM>> GPGShell or WinPT for this.

AM>> I've explained how to install and use the plug-in in this article:

AM>> http://www.landscreek.net/gpg_pgp_tb.html

AM>> There is one annoying thing in the plug-in in that when decrypting, you
AM>> have to always fill in the UID and password for the key you wish to
AM>> decrypt with. The UID isn't automatically filled in based on the To:
AM>> address field or the ID of the public key used for encryption. I created
AM>> a macro that does this for me.

AM>> The smartmatching feature is a fail safe measure not welcomed by many
AM>> since it can be difficult to use the plug-in when there are many who
AM>> send messages with a From name and address that doesn't correspond with
AM>> any of the UID's associated with key they signed their message with.
AM>> For example, a person may have create his key with the UID:

AM>> Jasper Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

AM>> and then sends messages with the From name <address>:

AM>> Jasper Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

AM>> or

AM>> Jas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

AM>> The plug-in will not encrypt messages to a name <address> that doesn't
AM>> have matching UID in one of your public keys. You'll get an error. You
AM>> have to change the To: name <address> to one that matches one of the
AM>> UID's associated with the public key or use GPG Shell to do the
AM>> encryption ignoring the UID match.

AM>> The same thing goes for you trying to sign a message using a From name
AM>> <address> that doesn't exactly match a UID of your key. You'd also get
AM>> an error. The only way to sign with the plug-in would be to add the name
AM>> <address> combination you're using as a UID to your key.

AM>> PGP is a lot more forgiving in this way or it offers you a key selection
AM>> dialog when a match fails. You can then select the key you wish to use.
AM>> It will also sign with your default key, no matter which From address
AM>> you have in your message.

AM>> I haven't been having problems decrypting messages from other PGP and
AM>> GnuPG users.

TT>  ---------------------------------------

TT>              Life is poetry -
TT>                write it in your own words.

TT>  ---------------------------------------

TT> Toby Tremayne
TT> Technical Team Lead
TT> Code Poet and Zen Master of the Heavy Sleep
TT> Toll Solutions
TT> 154 Moray St
TT> Sth Melbourne
TT> VIC 3205
TT> +61 3 9697 2317
TT> 0416 048 090
TT> ICQ:  13107913

TT> Current version is 1.62 | "Using TBUDL" information:

             Life is poetry -
               write it in your own words.