extremely...tedious

CT>> Hm, I disagree... should this really be part of a mail program?

communication is part of an email program. we have to be able to
express in language (including symbols if necessary) our thoughts
and opinions. Universally known symbols get this across. In
addition, there are many contexts where the symbol is required.
Ie. Trademarks, copyright, and other language symbols which are
not necessarily part of the writers keyboard (I.e. and English
person writing to a German (Think of the umlaut, or the accented
a.) Those are necessary as well.  I suppose the idea can be
communicated generally, however... the point is if you can do it
right you should.

I have been in computing over 20 yrs supporting  supporting end
users... they don't get the "alt+ascii" idea.. alt+ascii was
around with dos based word processors. Remember Wordstar(tm) one
of the most featured word processor of its time. It drove the
users crazy having to memorize all the keystrokes.

I personally miss the days of typing all that stuff in and have
succumbed to the User Interface... and I do understand why
general users love User Interfaces!

So to get back to Clives point since even if users had a
printout... that paper is not part of their application. The
ability to do symbols is part of how they communicate, therefore
in my opinion it should be. In addition.... A lot of people
travel, it's not like they're always the same place doing emails.

I think it's great that Clive found a work around, and   that he
shared it! Others who CAN use that idea will have a solution.
However... It's a hard sell to regular people...

just my .02

:)

Laura