Hello Jonathan,

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003 at 11:42:26 PM you [JA] wrote (at least
in part):

>> Hmmm... it's interesting. Maybe your recent tries were successful
>> because you're using an 1.63 Beta/5 version of the TB!. Mine was
>> 1.62e and is 1.62i now.

No. I've tried it making a native telnet session to port 25 of my MTA
and succeeded too. Seems my qmail silently "stripped" the backslashes
for recognizing the correct address.
They were not stripped in the mail itself, they cam through, but I can
imagine qmail stipped them while parsing the envelope recipient. I'll
have to have a look at the source code to know this for sure.

JA> It could be that they fixed it... I cannot see anything in the beta
JA> files that mentions it, so it could have silently been fixed. So you
JA> are possibly quite correct.

I don't think.
I've done a test: I exported a new generated mail which contained
those bachslashes, removed the bakslashes and re-imported the message.
In message list no escaping backslashes were shown, in header pane
they were. I captured a SMTP session when sending the message and The
Bat! sent it _with_ backslashes.

JA>>> The question is, what was the error message you got back from
JA>>> your undelivered email to the literal address? Did you even get
JA>>> one?

>>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>> <postmaster@[80\.80\.100\.216]>
>>
>>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>> 550 5.1.2 <postmaster@[80\.80\.100\.216]>... Host unknown (Name server:
>> [80\.80\.100\.216]: host not found)

>> The server is running Sendmail 8.12.6 under FreeBSD 4.7-Release.

Well ... Andrey: I have tried to open a telnet session on port 25 to
that particular server and send the mail "manually" by copying the
message from TB! source view and initiate the process by myself.

   >telnet 80.80.100.216 25
   220 post.tp.ru ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.0/8.11.0; Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:17:31 +0300 (MSK)
   EHLO 80.80.100.216
   250-post.tp.ru Hello siliki.zentrumderarbeit.org [212.99.128.226], pleased to meet
you
   250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
   250-EXPN
   250-VERB
   250-8BITMIME
   250-SIZE 10000000
   250-DSN
   250-ONEX
   250-ETRN
   250-XUSR
   250 HELP
   MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   250 2.1.0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender ok
   RCPT TO:<postmaster@[80\.80\.100\.216]>
   550 5.7.1 <postmaster@[80\.80\.100\.216]>... Relaying denied
   RCPT TO:<postmaster@[80.80.100.216]>
   250 2.1.5 <postmaster@[80.80.100.216]>... Recipient ok
   QUIT

Seems this sendmail sever is quite strict about the syntax, which is
OK ... it's following RFCs.
So The Bat! is buggy, albeit some MTAs can handle it's output.

JA> - From a guess, TB! seems to want to put in the \ for some reason.

I guess something "thinks" there's a regular expression in this
string. Maybe some used components that could show that string would
interpret a text to show containing '[...]' as "regular expression"
and therefore the period as special character is "escaped" to prevent
it form being misunderstood. Of course this should be "internal" only,
every visualization should be done without the escape characters and
_of course_ the process of sending the mail has to "flatten" the
string!

Andrey: would you file a bug report, if there's not already one that
deals with the subject?

http://www.ritlabs.com/bt/
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

"Reliable software must kill people reliably." -- Andy Mickel