Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> As i am thinking about getting a domain i also think about getting my
> own mail server software. Could anyone advice on a free or low cost
> solution that could work under Win XP?

Mercury32 (http://www.pmail.com) is free and extremely flexible. I has
modules to do just about anything you would want. However, I've never
tried it under XP and don't know what the author claims, but I would
be very surprised if it didn't work.

There is an active mailing list/support group at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't know your particular situation, of course, but allow me to
point out a couple of things. First, running your own SMTP for
outbound mail is becoming increasingly difficult because many of the
servers you will connect with are using blacklists which refuse mail
from any IP which is in a dynamically assigned block. They are trying
to avoid spam sent out by servers operated by spammers. So if you are
on a dialup connection, or if you have broadband with an IP assigned
via DHCP, you may have problems with some outbound mail.

Second, and again on the subject of SMTP, to receive mail you must be
online full time, or inbound mail will bounce. There are, however,
services which will hold/forward mail if your system is down. Also,
you must have an open port to allow inbound access to your SMTP
server, while without the server your system can be virtually
invisible on the internet.

I ran my own server(s) for quite a few years, but have given it up
given the current environment.

Just a few thoughts.

Kind regards...

--