I'm getting extremely frustrated with TB's poor handling of dupes. It's almost making
me go over to another email client. I remember another thread a few days ago
regarding dupes, but the situation there involved messages that were deleted
from the server when downloaded by TB. My setup is different.

I have several POP accounts, including some yahoo ones that I retrieve through
web2pop. I have the setting for these kept at 'delete from server when deleted
from trash'. The problem is that I routinely end up with dozens of dupes of
messages which are months old. I then empty my trash and hope it will clear
things up on my next mail check. I think it does, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I
see the same problem again a couple days later - lots of dupes of ancient
messages. When I choose the menu option to "kill dupes in all folders", TB
apparently is not able to identify two identical messages as dupes. Perhaps the
message IDs are different? Anyway I gritted my teeth and tolerated this.

I finally got sick of this today and decided to store all messages locally. I
emptied the trash in all folders and changed the mail management options in all
accounts to 'delete mail from server'. Next thing I end up with every single
email that was stored on the server. Apparently, though I had deleted them from
trash locally, TB had not yet correspondingly deleted them from the server. They
were treated as new messages (even though they had been downloaded SEVERAL times
by now). I am now stuck with over 1500 duplicate messages that "kill dupes in
all folders" completely ignores. Can anyone suggest what I should do about this?

thanks,

-Vishal