Hello Deborah W,

On or about Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 12:43:13GMT -0400 (which was
11:43 AM in the tropics where I live) Deborah W posted:

DW> On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 12:26:19 PM, Spike wrote:

S>> I refuse to deal with fancified and bloated HTML mail, especially
S>> with all the security risks they introduce. Half of my clients
S>> were hit with BLASTER yesterday, and I am laughing hysterically at
S>> all of them that I warned and tried to switch to TB! Those that
S>> listened are humming along without a care.... :-)

DW> So if I'm running *only* TB, on Win2K, I don't need to worry about
DW> this Blaster thing, right? 'Cause I've been trying to update my
DW> virus definitions on AVG all morning & not getting anywhere :-(

The risk is MINIMAL as long as you have not altered the default
settings in TB!   This is under Options > Preferences > Warnings. As
long as you don't EXECUTE any questionable attachment that comes
through, you will probably be OK.

If you are accessing any webmail accounts, be VERY VERY careful. Under
any NT system, which is NT-4, WIN2K or XP, the worm shuts down
critical system utilities (processes) which in turn causes your system
to INVOLUNTARILY shut down repeatedly.  There is one saving grace, as
if you are NOT ONLINE, the system will remain stable, and only becomes
unstable after an internet connection is established, at least that
has been my experience, YMMV.

I understand that this is an EXTREMELY widespread issue, so most of
the AV sites worldwide are being slammed by the sudden traffic.  My
phone is ringing off the hook on this, which has never happened
before.  I suspect we will see a large increase in TB! users, at least
in MY territory. :-)

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

Quote for the moment:
"A cometary impact before breakfast may spoil the rest of your day!"

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Against HTML Mail
\ /   If it aint a webpage it shouldn't be HTML.
 X    Say NO! to bloatmail - ban HTML mail!
/ \   Ask Spikey, he hates everything (HTML).
Using TheBat! v1.62r hamstrung by Windows XP 5.1
Build 2600 Service Pack 1'