On Monday, September 8, 2003, 12:44:16 PM, David R. Austen wrote:

> Over the past few weeks, I have discovered that the only way to
> reliably start The Bat (1.62i) is to first start and then exit Outlook
> (Outlook is not used for my email.)

> And nearly every time I start The Bat, I see this message:  "A call to
> an OS function failed." I then hit Enter and The Bat runs normally.

I run Outlook and TB (I also use Time and Chaos for work task
scheduling, but have not found it to be an adequate replacement for my
contacts and diary). I do not have any problems, but this message does
ring a bell - it sounds a bit like Outlook and TB fighting it out over
default settings, as Outlook fights a rearguard action if it is not
the default client.

Have a look at the Programs settings in IE (Tools|Internet
Options|Programs) and then the individual defaults for Outlook and TB
and see if you can find any conflicts. I always had problems with TB
being the default handler for .VCF, so I leave this and MSG unticked
in TB! Everything works fine without.

Julian

--
  Using The Bat! v2.00 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1