Hello Clive,

Wednesday, October 1, 2003, 12:28:29 AM, you wrote:
CT> Maybe some of us need to be reminded about the list rules
CT> constantly. For example, the message about inserting a sig
CT> delimiter doesn’t seem to have reached you yet :(

*Exactly* the point! There are boatloads of lurkers on the lists.
While everything is spelled out in the list rules that *everyone* gets
when they subscribe, nobody ever seems to read them. Therefore, the
lurkers would never know what's allowed and not allowed if it's not
public.

I've had this same conversation with Yuki off-list. Marck, Allie and I
have been moderating the TB lists for ages now. We've just about tried
every form and fashion of moderation known to mankind, and we stick
with what works for us over the years. We still tweak here and now
(i.e. the recent standardization of moderation messages for example),
but for the most part what we're doing does work.

Marck pointed out in his reply about users taking up the moderation
when the moderators don't make it public. When we were privately
moderating, it was unbelievable how much traffic was generated by
users telling the person who did The Bad Thing (tm) that they violated
the rules. We've been there and done that.

We still use private moderation for sensitive issues, but those are
much more rare occasions.

Alas, what Marck said also is most true... We just like to hear
ourselves talk. ;-)

--
Leif (TB list moderator and fellow end user).

Using The Bat! 2.00.18 under Windows 2000 5.0
Build 2195 Service Pack 3 on a Pentium 4 2GHz with 512MB