Hello bats,

on Thu, 25. Mar 2004 at 14:59:21 -0800 Melissa Reese wrote:

> After Googling on "rundll32.exe", it does seem that this process has
> its fingers in several different areas of "normal" operations, so I'm
> not sure if it's okay to look for a way to disable the process
> permanently. If, however, disabling this process under normal
> operating conditions is not a problem, could someone explain to me
> just how I might go about disabling it at startup?

rundll32.exe is not a service that runs all the time, but only for
different tasks, where some DLL function needs to be called.

Therefor you see the Kerio popup that often for installations etc pp.

You can disable rundll32 by creating a Kerio rule that denies
execution of it, but that would cause you a lot of troubles, I
believe.

I did not follow the whole thread, but rundll32 will also be used to
execute IdleTasks from advapi32.dll, which changes disk layout
according to your Prefetch settings.
This should be called every three days (if Scheduler service is
running) and your system is idle for some time. But it's been reported
that it also can kick in, if you just start a game and results in
sluggish performance.

You can run in manually by executing:
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Your hdd will be active for some seconds upto some minutes. Depends on
previous optimisation.

Unfortunately I don't know a way to see what DLL function is executed
by rundll32.exe. With procexp from www.sysinternals.com you can view
what DLLs are used by a process, but that are quite a few and not
simply the one being called.

--
shinE!
http://www.thequod.de ICQ#152282665

Using The Bat! v2.04.7 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
with POPFile 0.21.1 and avast Mar2004 (4.1.357).