Hello Britt,

Friday, May 21, 2004, 9:40:52 AM, you wrote:

BH> This yahoo-address is not my ordinary address that I'm using
BH> in The Bat. When I started a new account there to be able to post
BH> to this list with The Bat, POP worked but not SMTP, so I had to
BH> post from another mail client or from the web mail. I thought it
BH> was something temporary with the server, but it seems not to be
BH> (the text below is copied from Yahoo). This is not a major issue
BH> for me at all since I'm normally not using this address in The
BH> Bat, but for somebody who uses Yahoo and only has The Bat it
BH> certainly would be. Does any of you have the same experience and
BH> have a solution?

It's working just fine for me. Looking at the error message, the
problem is clear:

>> Errors Sending Mail (SMTP)
>> The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires authentication. To learn
>> how to configure your email program, please choose from the
>> following supported programs:

Let's ignore the big long list of programs - that's a distraction.

The problem seems to be that you're not actually authenticating when
sending mail. Yahoo!'s SMTP servers require authentication, probably
to prevent abuse by spammers etc.

With the Inbox of your Yahoo! account selected, go to the "Account" menu
and choose "Properties...". Go to the "Transport" section, and click on the
"Authentication..." button next to the "SMTP Server" field. Ensure that
the option "Perform SMTP Authentication (RFC 2554)" is checked. For
Yahoo!, you should ensure that the option below titled "Use settings
of Mail Retrieval" is checked - this will force The Bat! to use the
Yahoo! password entered for POP3 retrieval, which is the master Yahoo!
password - this just saves you from entering your Yahoo! username and
password more than once. (And prevents typing errors from causing you
any aggravation.)

I've just happily sent a test message from my Yahoo! account to this
account, and read the drivel I sent without problems - so this
definitely works. ;-)

The long list of programs that are "supported" mail clients more than
likely refers to the help that Yahoo! can give you - they can't
possibly give instructions for every mail client, nor can they teach
their support staff every mail client. Therefore, they concentrate on
what they see as the most popular mail clients. (How Incredimail got
on that list I'll never know. *grins*)

The omission of The Bat! is evidently a grave one, so I shall send
them a snotty mail when I next come to renew my POP3 access with
Yahoo! ;-)

 Philip                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v2.10.03 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build  2195
Service Pack 4