Peter Meyns wrote:
> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

I'm copying this over to TBOT to move discussion there.

I'm curious about the logic of the above point from Peter's tag line
(which I agree with) and applying the same logic to message list view.

Do the anti-top-posting crusaders (or even those that strongly believe
against top-posting) also view their message list with new messages at
the bottom?

Is it silly to even be making the connection?

It would seem that if "logical flow of conversation" is a main
argument for top-posting, a similar argument could be used for viewing
a list of messages and threads.

Or does the flow issue matter only *within* a message because of the
*context* issue?  That makes sense to me.

Note that I'm  not trying to bait anyone or start an argument.  I'm
genuinely curious about this.

I have used both new messages at bottom and new messages at top for
viewing messages. I have even used both at the same time, across
different accounts - new at top for business mail, new at bottom for
everything else. (I continue to top-post for business mail).

To me, it usually makes more sense/logic to put new mail at bottom -
especially using the logic of flow argument. But viewing new items at
bottom often requires more work - and in some cases, it's downright
impossible when trying to implement the concept across multiple
applications. (why just do this for e-mail?)

One thing that threw a wrench in the workings of my perception on this
was the idea of a physical Inbox, and realizing that new messages at
top more closely resembles a real-world Inbox.

I don't know very many people that would put new items at the bottom
of the stack in their physical Inbox.

But maybe I just don't know the right kind of people... ;)

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Ridicule?

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v2.10.03 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4