Thomas Fernandez wrote:
> No time was wasted

(Note: not just to Thomas)

I don't understand why this argument keeps getting raised.  I know
that 9Val made this claim in the context of no *development* time was
wasted, but I think even in that context, a not insignificant time has
been allotted to smileys alone.

Without getting into the merits of smileys in general, or how Ritlabs
announced them, etc. one still cannot ignore the number of messages
devoted to a topic that some claim "no time was wasted."

Every beta-tester that posts a question about smileys takes away time
from them posting about a bug that isn't fixed yet.

Every response to above takes away time from addressing bugs that
haven't been fixed.

Are we to believe that smiley development is still getting done on
"personal time"?  (remembering that this was part of an official
release)

I really don't want to debate smileys.  I can accept them as something
I simply won't use - and if it doesn't interfere with my use of TB, no
problem.  I realize some people don't use/need Virtual Folders or
IMAP.  OK.  I just don't understand/agree with the idea that smileys
don't take up any time.

Smileys appear to be a feature that's here to stay.  Let's treat them
that way.  It doesn't matter if a new feature somehow *developed
itself* and literally required ZERO development.  Once that feature is
introduced and released, it takes up resources.

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v2.10.03 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4