   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was Wed, 1 Sep 2004, at 16:45:37 +0200,
   @  @      when MAU wrote:

> Hello Mica,

>> ...so the customer is able to *see* what s/he has in mind to buy.

> You can download it and trial it for one months before deciding if you'd
> want to upgrade. Isn't that enough?

It depends, Miguel. (-: Have you ever tried to work (especially
estimating something new) anything more seriously with a slapping
popups, constant interruptions and disabled features around?

...I'll yet add something, (-: since I find it just appropriate for this
moment, when the chase for the new version crack is all around as a
fever...

I personally feel, and even think, and am not even at least alone, that
it represents no "guard" for any software: those who will buy it will
buy it anyway, and those who will not, will not. They will crack it and
will use a software this way. As it happens all the time. Especially
with TB, and we all are aware of this.

So, the "trials", which work this way, with disabled "features" and
annoying user interrupting him constantly, never can be a good solution.
It can only make him nervous and will drive him crazy, and he will
eventually use a crack.

Another essential thing, which causes such attitude, is *relationship*
an author/company builds toward its customers/users. This is a best
"protection" and a best opportunity for building a really fear-play
atmosphere.

Then the both sides will respect each other, and the "fight for money"
will not have such strong influence. The atmosphere will be much more
relaxed, authors will have more money, customers will work at peace and
ease, will feel good and the mutual cooperation will be much more
fruitful. (-:

Contrarily, we just get a worse software by a higher price, angry
customers, and the eternally over-heeding authors under tension, in
general. Exceptions are just few.

My humble suggestion is, hence, to try making TB *really* "fully
functional" for these 30 days, with no tricks and lies (therefore
without underestimation of intelligence of a customer, and his/her
personality, which triggers certain and adequate reactions), and to
apply such attitude to *entire* range of the work. I *guarantee* that
after some period (let's say one year, or even more, depending on
previous impressions the previous attitude has generated) the company
will bloom, and will stay respected and enough "rich" "forever". (-:

But - it is *not* easy. Lots of that has to be changed.

Until then... (:

The "glory", and popularity TB had once, is past, and hence the feelings
of users of that time shouldn't be confused with TB "situation" today,
and counting on them, these feelings, would be a great faux pas. They do
not exist anymore.

A serious business(wo)man will always make a serious and objective
analyze (if s/he has a serious ambition to be "in business"). S/he will
not peck randomly, as a blind red jungle fowl, relying on "luck" and
"glory". "Glory" comes and goes. (-: As a sparkle glimmering shortly on
the sea surface. It's nice but lasts for a moment. Being a King of the
Oceans, is quite another thing.

- --
Mica
PGP key uploaded at: <http://pgp.mit.edu/> once just before breakfast