Hello Roelof!

On Friday, September 03, 2004, 7:48 AM, you wrote:

MB>> This is the reason that all the handles on the Smileys page are
MB>> enclosed in colons. I hope that 9Val will soon edit the
MB>> default.msl file to enclose all handles in colons there.

RO> Oh no, not colons, I'd prefer <> (don't know how to call them),
RO> those are common used all over the net for this stuuf. So you can
RO> use the same signs for TB-users and non-TB-users without confusing
RO> them. But I'll never get used to using :looking daft: instead of
RO> <looking daft> YMMV of course.

For the default.msl, 9Val has to do the editing, except, of course,
what we do as individuals on our own copies of The Bat!

As "Keeper of the Smileys," I can easily edit every handle of the
PCWize Smileys "Smileys" page to have a brackets (< >) enclosure
rather than a colons enclosure. It would be a bit time-consuming, but
I can do that, and I have the time.

Leif would have to reset the code for it to happen automatically that
brackets would be supplied rather than colons in future uploads to the
Smileys page.

When this discussion took place on tbbeta, the consensus--as near as I
could assess it--was that the handles, when objected to, were objected
to no matter what type of enclosure was used.

If you and Marck and Leif think it is appropriate to continue this
thread and get the opinions of subscribers to tbudl, I would very much
like to have them. As you know, I enjoy the Smiley images
tremendously. Originally, I didn't think I would, nor did I think that
I would like Roguemoticons in the headers. As it turned out, they are
a great delight to me. This is a powerful technique which 9Val has
developed and I'm so glad that he and Leif have done all that they
have.

So, used sparingly and appropriately, I think the Smileys handles will
not be too great a distraction to people with Plain Text View on.

Therefore, if it's okay, let's have a poll:

1) For Smiley handles enclosed in colons  : :

2) For Smiley handles enclosed in brackets  <  >

Mary
(PCWSmileys Administrator)
http://www.PCWize.com/thebat/PCWSmileys.php
The Bat! 3.0 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2