Hi Roelof,

RO> Hallo Stuart,

SM>> Filters are driving me potty.
RO> Don't despair.
Aargh!!! I am trying.

SM>> namely a "*ist D" - a stupid name I know.
RO> But a nice camera
Indeed.

SM>> However, what I really want to do, is delete any messages
SM>> that do not contain these.
RO> ACK

SM>> However, having removed the virtual folder and create a new filter
SM>> on the inbox using the same criteria I find I get NO matches!!

RO> I guess that you had a filter in place that moved Pentax messages to
RO> another folder. Now if you follow that with a filter that will be
RO> triggered by a subselection of the same messages it won't do that,
RO> unless you set the option 'continue processing with other filters'
RO> (both v2 and v3) or when you make the second filter a subfilter for
RO> the first (v3 only)

RO> As you're looking for something that'll work for both v2 and v3, you
RO> could try this:
I am now on v3. I am trying to find the regular expression that will match, in general
syntax terms

[*]ist[-][d] in the subject line or main text (where [] denotes optional and this is a
complete word so I do not get matches on words beginning with "ist")

I assume this should be something along these lines:

(?i)^*?ist-?d?$

where:  (?i) says case does not matter (is this the default anyway?)
        ^ is meant to indicate this is the start of a word
        *? is meant to indicate zero or one "*"
        -? is meant to indicate zero or one "-"
        d? is meant to indicate zero or one "d"
        $ is meant to indicate that this is the end of the word

I am guessing that * and - have special meanings so I can not do it this way.

RO> Note: Most people tend to skip on characters that are neither letter
RO> nor number (hardly anybody on this list talks about 'The Bat!') and
RO> unless Pentax owners differ on this point (what I cannot imagine,
RO> myself owning a Pentax as secondary camera) they'll tend to skip the
RO> asterix, so you could do that too.
Sadly, a very high proportion of the members include the *.

Stuart

--
Stuart                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"if you are not confused : you are misinformed