On 22-9 at 15:30 Mica wrote:

Hello

> Well, it's enough to know that Linux is made by a scientist, for
> scientists, and Windows is made... well, also by a scientist (-;, but -
> for the *masses*, in order to get a raw picture of differences we are
> facing.

> Windows is possible to be driven by an "ordinary" person, but for Linux
> you need a "pro" driver, an expert - at the start.

This is a very popular misunderstanding, made by people who have used
Windows for a long time. Think about this: You have spend 5 or 10
years beeing a Windows expert, and knows how to do everything. Then
you try Linux (with a GUI), and suddenly everything is done
differently. It would be just as hard going the other way, from Linux
to Windows.

You can see it the same way as when you get a new VCR: You have spend
5 years figuring out how to program the old one, and when you get a
new one you can't program it.

> Recent "popularization" of Linux,

I will not call the Linux GUI (called X) "recent". It have existed for
many years, and actually I saw X with a scinable GUI 5 years before
Microsoft launched Windows XP.

> offered just a *shell*,

Which is good. When you build a lot of graphics into the core of an
operating system, there is way more thing which can go wrong. The
Linux core does not force you to use a certain interface - Windows
does.

> in an attempt
> to make an impression of something "familiar"

> This shell sometimes work, and sometimes do not. Depending on its
> connection with the "engine". All of that (KDE, GNOME...) is still
> *very* buggy, additionally, and if you want to *work* stably, you have
> to tweak it and tweak - until you are blue in face. (-:

The main problem is lack of drivers, because many hardware
manufacturers does not write drivers for Linux, and will not releese
information so other people can do it.

But in fact it works almost every time now - you can get a Linux disto
called Knoppix, which boots off a CD-ROM and right into a GUI without
touching the hard drive - you can't do that with Windows!

> Hence, Linux, simply, is NOT "easy", and will never be. (-:

It IS easy, if you spend as much time learning it as you have spend on
Windows.

> Linux is simply made for *scientists* and its "nature" cannot be
> "altered" by any "shell" over the engine.

The Linux core was made as a hobby project

> I think that this fact (that is made originally for scientists) is a
> best hint (which really could help in orienteering) about "nature" of
> Linux, for anyone having in mind *using* it for something.

I think you forget, that computers was made for scientists, so if you
are right, most people can't use a computer.

When I first used Linux many years ago, the GUI was as you describe: A
bit buggy, not easy to use, when you should use a floppy disk you
should "mount" it yourself etc., but that is the past, and Linux is
just as user friendly as Windows - it's just not a Windows clone, but
a different operating system where you have a free choice - just like
when you want to buy a car.

I mostly use Windows, partly due to some old hardware which only have
Windows drivers, and partly due to TheBat :-)

--
Best regards, Simon Mikkelsen
Contact information http://mikkelsen.tv/simon/contact/

Using TheBat 2.12.00 on Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)
   build 2195, Service Pack 4