Hello, everyone!

I have just read Alexey Vinogradov's Web page on The
Bat!'s BayesIt! anti-spam plug-in, at the following URL:

http://klirik.narod.ru/usefuls/bayesiteng.htm

(The Russian version is at the following URL.)

http://klirik.narod.ru/usefuls/bayesit.htm

ASIDE: For those of you who have not found the BayesIt! plug-in for The Bat! (now that it is installed with TB!), the path is as follows:

'\Program Files\The Bat!\BayesIt\bayesit.tbp'

You can find information about BayesIt! on RITLabs Web site at the following URL:

http://www.ritlabs.com/kb/idx/41/0/

Alexey warns, on his Web page, that is a "deprecated document which is actual for the plugin up to version 0.4gm. Since the add-on BayesIt was included into official distribution of the last versions of The Bat!, the information page about installing and setting up the plugin (ver. 0.5.x and newer) is now placed at RitLabs website (see at section 'Solution' on official RitLabs site...."

I installed the plug-in today, and I also found
Alexey's Web site about his plug-in.

I receive e-mail in English and in Russian. Some
messages are in English only, some are in Russian only
(including some spam), and some are in Russian and
English.

I have not yet run the configuration wizard for
BayesIt!, but based upon the information about the
wizard on Alexey's Web page, you must set up BayesIt!
for a single language, such as Russian or English.

Actually, you skip a configuration step if all of your
e-mail is in English. Otherwise, you have to enter a
locale for non-English e-mail, such as
'Russian_Russia'. The options are, "Yes, all my mail
is in English," or "No, I receive mail in my native
language (not English)." Alexey warns, "Also note that
this technology has no sense for English-speaking
mail."

Well, English is my native language, but all of my e-
mail is not in English. :-) Has anyone faced a similar
situation and how did you resolve the problem?

I can see the possibility of selecting the Russian
locale and then entering all of the Latin/English
characters in the alphabet of my locale (US). I would
then, however, have a problem with the transliteration
table. It is easy enough to do the transliteration
from Russian/Cyrillic letters to English letters, but
I wonder if all of the Latin/English characters that I
would have added to the Russian locale would end up
creating a huge mess with transliteration.

I could send e-mail to Alexey; I assume that he is
still developing BayesIt! for RITLabs. The alternative
might be to use an external program, such as SpamPal
or K9, but won't an external program that uses
Bayesian filtering also have a problem of all of my e-
mail not being in English?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your suggestions!

Cordially,

David
--
http://ddickerson.igc.org/