Thursday, November 04, 2004, MAU [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> The WinXP in Windows Explorer is already set to "Show hidden files
>> and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files" is also
>> unchecked. But I still cannot open the "System Volume Information"
>> folder. Have you open that folder and copied any files from that
>> folder? If not, would you try and let me know? I am simply trying
>> to use TC to make a full backup copy of my C: drive (a new
>> installation of WinXP); so that if I need to reinstall a clean copy
>> of WinXP, I can simply do a copy from this backup and it would be
>> mostly all configured.

> To be able to open, or view or copy the "System Volume Information"
> you would need to change the the access permissions because, as I
> think I told you in my previous message, it is only accessible to
> the system. In particular for System Restore.

> On the other hand, even if you could do so, backing up the "System
> Volume Information" would serve you no purpose because if you are
> going to install XP again, it will create/configure a new "System
> Volume Information" for each volume (drive or partition).

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that I can have a clean
"reinstall" of WinXP by copying back from the backup copy described
above -- without the "System Volume Informaiton" files? So does the OS
create/configure a new "System Volume Informaiton" ONLY IF I reinstall
from the WinXP installation CD?

> Anyway, if you are curious and what to see what's inside, take a
> look at:

>    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309531

> or

>    http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm