Hello, everyone.

I have a question about default encoding to recipients who
are native Russian speakers, and most of whom use Windows.

My evaluation copy of The Bat! 3.0.1.33 expired last night at
midnight, so I have to make a decision. Today, I launched The
Bat! and was surprised to find that it still ran, but I do not
know how long this "grace period" from RITLabs will last.

I spent hours and hours trying to get The Bat! to work with a
KOI8-R-encoded signature file, but I finally gave up and used
a Windows-1251/Cyrillic-encoded signature file. (All of my
research indicated that I should use KOI8-R for Russian
e-mail.)

With the Cyrillic Starter Kit (http://www.cyrillic.com/), I
successfully sent KOI8-R messages, although I kept wasting
hours on a KOI8-R signature file -- but The Bat! will not
accept such a signature.

<NUTSHELL>
I sent a test message to a close associate in Odessa, Ukraine,
whose firm uses Eudora, and he had to convert the message to
Windows-1251 in order to read the Russian. (I have been
writing to him for years, but I specifically as him to
consider that message as a test and to let me know if he
could read it.)
</NUTSHELL>

I sent him another message today in Windows-1251/Cyrillic
encoding, along with an apology. (Outlook XP automatically
encodes messages, and for two years I have been sending him
KOI8-R-encoded messages, so I have another reason to switch to
The Bat!, although paying the registration fee is a major
problem right now -- but not a matter of interest to TBUDL
members.)

Most of my correspondents in Ukraine and Russia use the Russian
version of Windows 98, as does my associate's firm in Odessa.
(By the way, my sample text came from a great Web site of
Russian literature, http://public-library.narod.ru/.)

<QUESTION>
Is it safe for me to assume that I should leave my default
encoding at Windows-1251, unless I receive complaints? (So
far, no one has complained about the KOI8-R messages, but
none of these friends would feel the need to complain,
because they are incredibly kind, as the message from
Odessa today proves.) Of course, I am referring to using
this default encoding soley for messages that contain
Russian text.
</QUESTION>

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- I am using the Cyrillic Starter Kit because the Russian
key-mapping in Windows XP Professional does not match the layout
of any Russian/English keyboard I have found so far, and the CSK
solves that problem. Perhaps I need to use 'Russian Typewriter'
as my input locale; I know of one Russian/English keyboard
that supposedly is in this layout.
--
http://ddickerson.igc.org/

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/