Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:33:00 +0100 (9:33 AM EST here) Ralph wrote:

> Hello Chris,

> @Friday, November 26, 2004, 22:27 you wrote:

>> Spend the $50 and upgrade to XP Pro. Search for some other GUI
>> program that will let you set permissions.

> try FaJo XP File Security Extension v0.9 (XP FSE) from www.fajo.de -
> this tool helped me a lot fiddling around with different rights...

I installed FaJo XP File Security Extension v0.9 (XP FSE) yesterday.
The file and folder Security tabs appeared. The security settings
could be altered _on_the_tabs_. I rebooted my system.

It was as though I had not checked the tabs' boxes at all. I looked at
the security tabs, and the checks were still in the boxes.

Then I looked at the Further Information at the bottom of FaJo XP
FSE's page
http://www.fajo.de/portal/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=

The first Information listed "How to set, view, change or remove file
and folder permissions in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;308418 has a
Reference 307874 "How to disable simplified sharing and set
permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874 includes a statement saying
that simple file sharing is the default setting of Windows XP.
Document 307874 also contains this: "Note You cannot turn off simple
file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition." Does anyone know a
way to get around that, without upgrading XP HOme to XP Pro?

This may be a clue. When I installed "Nero Burning ROM" on my previous
(now defunct) W2k system and again when I installed "Nero Burning ROM"
on my new Windows XP Home system, a message from Nero advised me to
download, install and run a utility called "Nero Burn Rights
Installer," so all of my user accounts can use "Nero Burning ROM." The
utility worked. Nero used a utility to make it work. If someone can
figure out how, perhaps everyone can do it using a similar utility.

Using: The Bat! v2.12.00, BayesIt! 0.5.9,
       MyMacros 1.11, gMacrosPlugin 0.80
       Windows XP v5.1 - Build 2600 - Service Pack 2

--

Daniel A. Grunberg       Kensington, Maryland, USA
homepage: www.nyx.net/~dgrunber/