On Thu, 2004-12-16, Greg Strong wrote:
> Hello TB Lists,

> Just thought I'd let those of you who use counters in your subject with
> a reply (i.e. Re[2]: GnuPG 1.4.0) that it messes up the threading in my
> newsreader (i.e. Agent 1.93) when I pull from Gmane. Not that you really
> care about my newsreader because I do NOT.

> I figure you may care about the others who do use a newsreader to read
> TB lists. I figure if it messes up Agent, then it is most likely to mess
> up other threading with other non-Agent Newsreaders except for of course
> those who use TB.  If you do not care and like to play games on those
> using newsreaders, then leave it like it is.  With the volume down like
> it is on TB lists, it may not much matter. :-)

It should interest the users and developers of TB that the use of the simple
"Re: " at the beginning of the Subject of a reply is controversial within the
Internet Engineering Task Force which develops protocols like email. Some think
that is was a mistake in the first place and some think that it is alright and
should be handled by email programs.

However, just about everyone agrees that any other notations (like: Re(2):,
2Re:, Ant:, or many others) should NEVER be used since email programs cannot be
expected to figure out all of the "clever" things that programmers like to put
in. Note that an email program needs to find and ignore any such prefix in
order to search and sort Subjects or to create its own reply Subjects.

My recommendation is to uncheck "Use reply numbering in the subject line" in
all reply templates.

--
Bill McQuillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Using The Bat! 2.11 on Windows XP 5.1 build 2600-Service Pack 1