Peter Fjelsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 2005-Jan-20 at Thu PM 12:17:51 EST,
wrote:

> Yes. But it should be pretty easy for RitLabs to look at the source for
> Thunderbird (it being open) and pore over what _they_ have done to get
> it all to work as well (?) as it does. :)

It may be possible for Rit Labs to use some of the code in The Bat! according
to section 3.7 of
the Mozilla Public License:

You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code not
governed by the
terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work  as a single product. In
such a case, You
must make sure the requirements  of this License are fulfilled for the Covered
Code.

However, section 3.2 clearly states:

Any Modification which You create or to which You contribute must be made
available in Source
Code form under the terms of this License either on  the same media as an
Executable version or
via an accepted Electronic  Distribution Mechanism to anyone to whom you made
an Executable
version  available; and if made available via Electronic Distribution
Mechanism,  must remain
available for at least twelve (12) months after the date it  initially became
available, or at least six
(6) months after a subsequent  version of that particular Modification has been
made available to
such  recipients. You are responsible for ensuring that the Source Code version
 remains
available even if the Electronic Distribution Mechanism is  maintained by a
third party.

>From what I understand (I am not a lawyer), extracting some of the code and
>using it is another
application would be a modification, so the source of that file, at least,
would need to be
released.

Also, Thunderbird is written in C++; The Bat! is written in Delphi.

Finally, most developers consider it either bad taste or a violation of
open-source licenses to
look at code and then re-implement the same functionality.

--
Chris Warrington (using WebMail)

--
Chris