Hello Steve,

It's nice to see you here! How are you doing? I wonder if you remember
me. I was and still am a fond user and great defender of VA and still
mention it many times in this and the TBBeta list.  I still have my copy
of VA 5.01 and Plus pack, although I have not used it in years.

> I would like to congratulate the authors of The Bat! for providing
> such a nice useable program.

It certainly is. And just wait and see the new release that should be
coming out quite soon. It is already in RC state.

> A few of you may be aware that I owned a company called Atlantic
> Coast PLC and for many years we published an email/news client called
> Virtual Access.   We made VA Open Source a few years ago but
> unfortunately development has been so slow that now the time has come
> to move on as VA still has very poor html handling and nowadays html is used
> a lot.

It was a real pity that development had to be abandoned, it was then
when I switched to The Bat!.

> One of the nice things about VA was the message threading and there is
> one feature I do not see in The Bat! by default but I wonder if it is
> possible to simulate with a bit of tweaking.

Yes, threading was of many great features in VA and, as I say above, I
have brought up the issue many times in TB lists.

Yes, there are different was to do/simulate what VA did. I will explain
below.

> At present all the outgoing emails go to the Sent Mail folder.  Does
> anyone know a way to have those emails remain in the Inbox but also to
> retain threading so that one can look at a received message and easily
> work one's way back up the thread including any replies sent.  In
> other words the whole discussion all in one grouping.

As I have said, there are different ways to do what you want and, once
you get acquainted with the many options TB has, you will find better
ways of improving your threading.

The easiest way to get started that I would suggest is to create a VF
(Virtual Folder), on the Filter tab select Advanced filter settings and
'Any Message'. If you are using only your Inbox and Outbox at the
moment, select them (Select Folder button on the lower left).

This way, you will see in your VF both incoming and outgoing messages.
To see them threaded, select View/View threads by/Reference. Although it
will be better that you create a View Mode (Options/Preferences/Messages
- View Modes) with your preferred column settings, atc, and then assign
it to you VF by right clicking on it and selecting Folder View Mode.

Hope I have given you a starter. But please don't hesitate to ask, there
is many helpful people in this list.

BTW, do you know anything about Peter Clapman and what he is doing? He
was (and I'm sure he still is) a great programmer. And Taz and the
others? Amrik?

Again, nice to see you here :)

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v3.5 Return RC9