Jeff,

Sunday, July 17, 2005, 12:22:47 PM, you wrote:
JG> Hello Group

JG> I am having a bit of a play/experiment :-)

JG> I have just built myself a server out of old bits and have attached to
JG> it a Buffalo Terrastation. The plan is to use a Shared Data directory
JG> on the server for all my data and then run scheduled backups to the
JG> Buffalo. Hopefully this will stop me from updating the wrong files when
JG> I switch PC's.

JG> Is anybody running TB! with data kept on a server? The laptop I
JG> use is wi-fi connected - 801.11g- and maintains a pretty reliable connection
JG> to the network.

JG> If anybody is doing this I would appreciate comments on usability. I
JG> guess it's technically possible but every time the laptop goes into
JG> standby it loses its network connection. It re-connects automagically
JG> but only after loads of error messages from Explorer ('My Documents'
JG> is on the server now) - which could be avoided if it was intelligent
JG> enough to wait for the connection before doing anything else.

JG> The laptop doesn't travel so I don't need access to the data while
JG> away from base.

JG> Many thanks.

I *had* been doing this on a wired LAN and had problems closing out
TheBat! It would take 2 minutes to fully close (removed from the Task
Manager). After posting to this forum and not getting any answers that
worked for me, I gave up. Now I use a SyncBack, a scheduled backup
program to back up to the server
(http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html).

--
Michael Rudnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! 3.5 on Windows 5.1 (2600) Service Pack 2