Hello A.Translator,

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:24:27 +0200 GMT (10/08/2005, 22:24 +0700 GMT),
A.Translator wrote:

>> It's the first hit in this Google search:
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N36A2169B

AT> If I may sidetrack to the shorter link:
AT> I often used tinyurl when referring to a webaddress in a usenet message, but
AT> learnt recently this is 'not done' because the viewer cannot see where the
link
AT> is going

I agree to much extent but not entirely. I usually don't open links in
the usenet, because you never know what comes up. But there are
exceptions, when I can clearly determine the domain and think I can
trust that. A tinyurl is a clear no-no, because it robs me of that
little advance cheat.

But that't the usenet. Over here, on the TBBETA mailing list, we
mostly know each others. Urban provided a tinyurl in addition to what
she said, and we know her and trust her to not lead us into damnation.
I still prefer full links, but some people provide the tinyurl in
addition to the full link over here. I wouldn't open a link that is
*only* posted as a tinyurl.

AT> Is there any netiquette on the use of shortened links that you know of?

I don't know.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Der Angeklagte unterhielt mit mir bis zum 7. Monat einen intimen
Kontakt und fuhr dann zu einer anderen Arbeitsstelle.