Hi Marten,

MG> And frankly I don't see why I should be having to do this just to
MG> collect the occasional GMail email.

  My guess is that you didn't include the Trusted Root CA in the
  certificate when it was issued originally and consequently it can't be
  used for a secure connection. However, that is only a guess based on
  your description of your difficulties.

MG> It all seemed a good idea at the time. But frankly time is too
MG> precious.

  I understand. If you choose to pursue it further, you are welcome to
  contact me off list.

--
Regards,
 Perry